Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Welcome to Red Hat 6 (RHEL6)?!

Well, I am apparently back to the world of Linux after 20 years. Wow, that makes me feel old. I haven't used it since college, so needless to say I'm out of practice.

Going forward, I will be posting a number of noob discoveries as I work on re-learning Linux.

First one... how do I determine what version I'm running?

cat /etc/issue

Returns:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.3 (Santiago)

Another way...
cat /etc/*-release

Returns:
Linux Client for e-business (RHEL) 6.3 (Gold Master)
Open Client RHEL 64 3.30 (Gold Master)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.3 (Santiago)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very informative. I found this while searching for information on linux certification for a presentation. Thanks!